Is the Atlantic City Casino PILOT deal, a bad bet for local and county taxpayers? Will Judge Julio Mendez call that sweet, 10 year tax break for Atlantic City casinos… unconstitutional?
Most hope so. The PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes) ignores the NJ Constitution requiring that all tax rules be applied equally to everyone.
The letter below shows that Judge Mendez is still reviewing complex issues associated with the Casino Pilot motion. Mendez wants all parties to consider mediation again due to the new, local and state leadership soon to be in place.
The latest update from Judge Mendez shows that he wants greater detail about four confusing special taxes related to the PILOT (payment in lieu of taxes).
- Impact and interrelation between Casino PILOT, and Atlantic City Alliance.
- Are ACA future payments connected to PILOT? Payments reduced or increased? By how much?
- How will opening of Hard Rock & Revel (Ocean Resort Casino) affect Atlantic City and Atlantic County tax base and tax rates?
- Is there any change to PILOT payments because of additional casinos?
- What is impact of PILOT upon other revenue sources? What about debt service and bonding?
Answers to these above are due within two weeks (Jan 26). The judge wants feedback on the mediation suggestion within seven days (Jan 19).Mendez PILOT 1.10.17