New CRDA Chief, Matt Doherty introduced himself at the recent AC Boardwalk Committee Meeting, on Wed, July 11.
Doherty is the former Mayor of Belmar, a beach side community just up the coast from Atlantic City.
Listen to WOND RADIO clips here:
Some meeting highlights and commentary:
- CRDA did not have enough cooperation with city.
- Will CRDA now work closer with City? Nice thought, but most are skeptical. Can ya blame them?
- IAT monies still not avail. These millions will go to pay down AC debt…..til 2025
- Miss America to leave AC? The 4 yr deal is over. Will that $4 mil be reallocated?
CRDA Chief Matt Doherty “we have to stop doing stupid stuff”
- CRDA funding evaporated. Left AC area, went north. While streets are still dark. Potholes make City look shabby.
- 19 CRDA board members. Only 2 from Atlantic City.
- ACFD needs equipment upgrade. What’s the hold up? FEMA says 20 yrs is lifespan of vehicle
Atlantic City Beach Block Boarding Houses
Matt wants more mixed use buildings. No more boarding houses. 47 rooming houses in the city is 47 too much.
Doherty says he wants to move the Tennessee Ave needle exchange. Some call it a needle give-away. Would like to see a ‘mobile’ needle exchange.
Marketing of Atlantic City has been neglected. Atlantic City Alliance and CRDA not qualified to create and place media. MeetAC has not helped as hoped for.
- City Council allows CRDA and Meet AC to run amok. Waste money.
- ‘It stinks’ says WOND’s David Spatz.
Poor targeting. Older tactics not working. Media buys are flawed. Older media (Radio & Newspaper) no longer has effective reach?